Ramen Corona Viral Spectroscopy
- Hack Title: Ramen Corona Viral Spectroscopy
- Hack Details: The newly identified corona virus SARS-CoV-2 aka COVID-19 has spread in many countries, caused far too many deaths and hospitalizations and become nearly impossible to ignore.As scientists we can't help but ask, how can I help? Can we build a better soap? Build a medieval doctor's plague mask to help with the shortage of masks? Would the ozone from a high voltage corona discharge kill a corona virus?What about that Star Trek episode where they cured a plague by hitting Spock with intense UV light? Should we be distilling rubbing alcohol and making our own disinfectant mats for Irish rail like they did for the Hoof and Mouth epidemic? All of that sounds too complicated so we're going to do something simple and sciency to detect viruses so we'll know when to run away. I know what you're thinking, build a scanning electron microscope! https://hackaday.com/tag/electron-microscope/ Yes, that would be good craic and if we have the money, tools and know-how to do that in 36 hours, I'm on board. But I was aiming for something even simpler. You see, because viruses are teeeny weeny, comparable to the wavelength of light, visible light microscopes are almost worthless. But maybe we can use their wavelength-dodging optical properties. You guessed it again, we need: Surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) detection of multiple viral antigens using magnetic capture of SERS-active nanoparticles. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23021841) Eureka! Duh!? (Magnetic capture, ramen tweezers... is optional, all we need to do is detect it, its an exercise for other scientists to figure out how to blow it up.) And who is going to calibrate it with a real COVID-19 sample? Not me. So that's why our prototype will be an HD-DVD based ramen spectrograph with Vitamin A as the sample molecule. As in this: HD DVD substrates for surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy analysis: fabrication, theoretical predictions and practical performance https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2016/ra/c6ra06029c#!divAbstract
- What you need to make it happen?: We need biologists, virologist, spectrologists, opthomologists, mechanics, computer scientists, electronicists, brewmeisters and anyone washes their hands and coughs into their elbows. We may have to substitute Blue-Ray for HD-DVD since that format went the way of the Betamax and we may have to use Ramen noodles or Corona beer as a source of Vitamin A and a bottle of Vitamin A from the chemist.
- Name: Brian Nitz
- Twitter/website: http://www.opensourcemechanic.com/blog/2020/03/ramen-corona-viral-spectroscopy/
- Hack Title: Viral Geneology
- Hack Details: Amateur open scientists are working with professional biologists such as Dr. Trevor Bedford, a computational biologist at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle. Together they are using openscience and crowdsourced peer-review in the study of the genetic family tree of the Covid-19 corona virus. The rate of mutations helps us understand how this virus spreads.https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2020/02/covid19-open-science.html https://nextstrain.org/ is a public website Dr. Bedford developed for scientists. It provides animated maps of viral evolution. https://www.gisaid.org/ is an online repository where labs from all over the world post new genomic data. The publications go to this crowdsourced peer review site: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/780627v1 How can we help? 1) By providing additional peer review 2) By providing additional analysis and visualization of the public data. 3) By tracking down and reporting/removing the viral misinformation being spread based on scientific misunderstanding and outright deceit. This project could consist of 2 teams: 1) Use science to help in the understanding of how COVID-19 is spreading and mutating. 2) Use web data-mining, social networks, education and cat memes to search and destroy (blacklist?) the roots of fake science.
- What you need to make it happen?: I have a laptop, some python and data visualization skills and a passion for replacing fake science with the real McCoy. I need experts in biology, bioinformatics, biochemistry, machine learning, data science, sociology, educators, communicators, dictators, taters...
- Name: Brian Nitz
- Twitter/website: http://opensourcemechanic.com
Remote Oil Levels Monitor
- Hack Title: Remote Oil Levels Monitor
- Hack Details: I need to Monitor my oil levels of house in and get an update when oil is less needs a refill , if oil is getting stolen based on rapid decrease etc.
- What you need to make it happen?: I have the basic idea how this will work , we need to measure oil using sonic sensor on Arduino transmit it using radio to raspi , and from there publish phone or txt . key thing is we need to design a weather proof housing and self charging module if possible or battery operated
- Name: Ameen
- Twitter/website: www.ameen.guru
Pandemic Ventilator Project
- Hack Title: Pandemic Ventilator Project
- Hack Details: Make this instructables https://www.instructables.com/id/The-Pandemic-Ventilator/ a ventilator for use when loads of people need one
- What you need to make it happen?: Kit is raspberry pi, solenoid valves, Magnetic Reed Switches and some wood working. If you are willing to help please join in. Check out the video at. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahumLb8pWBc
- Name: David Curran
- Twitter/website: Their project is at http://panvent.blogspot.com/ my twitter is https://twitter.com/iamreddave
A low cost, ultra low power radiation detector
- Hack Details: At a previous SciHackDay, a radiation detector was created (Radioquacktivity.) This year I'd like to improve on the design, CNC mill a PCB, 3D print an enclosure and create a completed, hand held detector. This year I'd like to show that bananas are mildly radioative.
- What you need to make it happen?: I'll have the electronics (photodiode detector, op-amps) and a rough circuit idea. I'll bring a PCB CNC machine. Looking for people keen to play with CNC PCB design, 3D printed enclosure design. I'll have some safe radiation sources.
- Name: Mike Hibbett
- Twitter/website: @mikehibbett
- Hack Title: Injection Machine
- Hack Details: Our team wants to build Plastic Injection Machine to help with plastic up cycling process
- What you need to make it happen?: We will bring all the necessary parts so we will need: space some tools and some help with welding things.
- Name: Irmantas Dinapas
- Twitter/website: https://www.preciousplasticdublin.org
Bubbles For All
- Hack Title: Bubbles For All
- Hack Details: Bubbles make people happy. We want to make a bubble machines of different types and sizes.
- What you need to make it happen?: Ideas, motors, fans, pumps. gears.
- Name: Jeffrey Roe/Christian Kortenhorst
- Twitter/website: @Jeffrey_Roe @cksolutions